Monday, July 25, 2011

I now pronounce you equal

Well, it took a while but gay marriage is officially legal in New York!  Considering that New York City has the largest gay population in the States, I expected it to be the first to implement the law, but that’s neither here nor there.  On Sunday, July 24, 2011, the first day gay marriage became legal, 484 couples wed at city marriage bureaus.  To those who married, congratulations!  I wish you a lifetime of happiness.  Naturally no occasion can go on unopposed, but here’s hoping their remarks did not dampen the spirits of those finally allowed to wed.   
Growing up in the performing arts introduced me to the nature of homosexual relationships as a child.  I didn’t have a problem with it then and I don’t have a problem with it now.  I fully support gay marriage but I have tried to understand the arguments against it.   For example, many religions consider homosexuality to be a sin.  Fair enough, but there is a separation of church and state in this country.  Gay marriages are not being conducted in places of disapproving worship, nor is the state attempting to force these religions to acquiesce.  To me, that pretty much removes religion from the argument.  I do not feel the need to spend too much time on the religious implications because opinions like this remind me that, despite what the older generations may believe many of America’s religious youth respectfully disagree with the Churches stance on this issue.   I imagine this will continue to evolve over time.

Others fear this will weaken traditional family values and have a negative impact on children of such relationships.  At this I feel the need to point out that each family has different values.  As for children, what a child needs most is to know he or she is loved, safe and has a strong support network at home.  How are homosexuals any less able to provide these necessities than heterosexuals?   
My favorite is the argument that gay marriage undermines the sanctity of the institution.   This always makes me chuckle.  If undermining the sanctity of marriage is cause for denying the right to marry, Hollywood should really be the first to have their marriage license revoked:
  1.  Rudolph Valentino & Jean Acker (actors) married: 6 hours
  2. Zsa Zsa Gabor (actress) Felipe de Alba married: 24 hours
  3. Britney Spears (singer) & Jason Alexander married: 55 hours
  4. Carmen Electra (eye candy) & Dennis Rodman (athlete) married: 9 days
  5. Mario Lopez & Ali Landry (actors) married: 2 weeks
  6. Drew Barrymore (actress) & Jeremy Thomas married: 28 days
Much like Dre the Prophet, I really do not see why this is even such a hot topic (you can read his blog here) 
If people spent half as much energy working toward a better future as they do on this debate, imagine what we could accomplish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment